Imagine this...it's a warm 65 degrees on a beautiful November Saturday. Your Texas Tech Red Raiders take the field in front of 10,000 fans?! Maybe 10,000 is too much? That is a scenario that unfortunately could be in the works.
I was mad when Mike Leach was fired. I was okay with the hiring of Tommy Tuberville. I didn't know what to expect coming into the season except that the defense was supposed to be better and the offense was supposed to look the same as it has during the Leach era. Well after 4 games the defense has looked better (except for tonight against Iowa St.) and the offense has not looked like the offense of Leach. This "Nascar" offense is too predictable. Most passes are screen passes and the team lines up fast and runs another screen pass or a run to the outside. Where are the runs up the middle? I guess a lot of it has to do with the offensive line not being as good, but this team is not performing offensively as it should be. I know a lot of people say that Sheffield should be qb. I think even if Sticks was playing qb the results would unfortunately be similar. The running game is too predictable. The passing game is predictable now. And the o-line, which used to always be a strength, is mediocre.
Tuberville is stressing the run game and has the backs to have a better-than-average running game, but I just don't think the o-line is good enough. Also I think Neal Brown needs to change his gameplan somehow. All the screens worked when he was offensive coordinator at Troy. The Big 12 Conference is a major step up from the Sun Belt Conference. It showed last week when Texas stopped anything and everything we ran to the outside. The defenses in this league are just too fast to be running screens all day with no running game.
I will continue to be a supporter of Tech football through the rough times. I hope that Tuberville gets things turned around and does whatever he has to do to put a winning program back on the field. It may take a while unfortunately. This team has great talent but something isn't right. The streak of being bowl eligible every year since the Big 12 came into existence is in serious jeopardy of coming to an end. I hope there are more people at the Jones during November games than there were at the Spring Game. But if things continue the way they are going, i'm not so sure that's going to happen...
No comments:
Post a Comment